I made this cupcake recipe with my oldest daughter and we had so much fun. It is a really easy recipe and anyone can make it.
(Makes 12 Standard Size Cupcakes)
30ml Vanilla Paste
4 Extra Large Eggs
250 ml Sugar
500 ml Cake Flour
15 ml Baking Powder
1 ml Salt
125 ml Warm Milk
125 ml Cooking Oil
Ingredients for Vanilla Buttercream
100g Soft Butter or Margarine
500 ml Icing Sugar
10 ml Vanilla Essence
about 25ml Milk
20ml Vanilla Paste
30ml Baker’s Emulsion (optional)
30ml Titanium Dioxide (optional)
Pinch of Salt
1. Whisk eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Sift the dry ingredients. Combine warm milk and oil in a jug.
3. Gently fold in the sifted dry ingredients and liquid mixture, using a large metal spoon.
4. Turn out into 1, 12 cup muffin baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for about 35 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack till completely cooled down.
5. Icing: Cream butter, icing sugar and essence. Add enough milk to make mixture light and creamy, and of a spreadable consistency, add the rest of the ingredients and cream together.
6. Using a icing bag pipe onto your cupcakes and decorate to your own preference.
7. Serve and enjoy!
For a different flavour, omit vanilla essence and add grated citrus rind, fresh citrus juice, smooth cottage cheese, cocoa powder or coffee powder.
Granadilla cake: Add 30 ml granadilla pulp to cake mix and another 30 ml to the icing.
Orange cake: Substitute milk and water with orange juice. Omit the vanilla essence and add 5 ml grated orange rind.
Nut cake: Stir 75 g chopped walnuts or any other nuts into the batter.
Spice cake: Sift 5 ml ground cinnamon, 5 ml ground ginger and 2 ml ground cloves together with the dry ingredients. Omit the vanilla essence.
Recipe by Blue Ribbon Recipes
It was originally a cake recipe. You can make either cake or cupcakes with this recipe.
To the buttercream I added baker’s emulsion, it turns any buttercream into a taste sensation. The titanium dioxide just makes the buttercream a more white colour. I also added some caramel centres to the cupcakes, which made it even more yummy.